There's Nothin' on Earth Like a Genuine, Bona Fide, Electrified, Six-Car Simpsons Blog!



The blog that attempts to justify my idiosyncrasies




Saturday, May 14, 2011

Overdue Mother's Day Tribute



"You shouldn't have gone away on vacation."

This is a line from the episode "Homer the Smithers" where Homer (deductively) does Mr. Smithers' job of taking care of Mr. Burns while Smithers goes on vacation. This episode has plenty of great lines and sight gags, and it really shows just how old and busted Mr. Burns is.

Now, you may be wondering, what does this line have to do with Mother's Day? Isn't there a better one? How come you're a week late?? Well sir, first off enough of your silly questions. I don't get paid to write this so I'll do it when I feel like it ok? Ok, (sighs) second, the reason I'm a little late in doing this is twofold: One, amidst all the Mother's Day rushing and gift giving and thanking, most likely this post would have gone unnoticed and the work and attention I put into it would have become part of the flower-scented, mushy Mother's Day paste that is the way I try to celebrate Mother's Day. Secondly, aren't we supposed to be thankful to our mothers all the time? This is just a continuation of the gratitude we all showed on Mother's Day. Thirdly, this quote pretty much sums up my mother.

Now let me explain: This quote comes after Smithers goes on vacation and Mr. Burns finds that he doesn't need Smithers to wait on him hand and foot. After Mr. Burns fires Smithers, Homer says "You shouldn't have gone away on vacation." Now my mother is employed at a plumbing office as an administrative assistant. She has it in her head that some day her bosses will see that she is unneeded and she will be fired, just like the quote (Eh? pretty good huh?). She believes that at some point, in order to save money, the company will terminate her position. This, of course, is silly.

She is a great woman who can handle any job she's given at work, can multitask better than anyone I've ever known, and is super creative when it comes to problem-solving. She has been (repeatedly, I might add) assured of her job security by her bosses. Even if she is terminated (which she won't), she would have the skill set to get another job very quickly. This is so typical of my mother. She worries that she is doing a terrible job when in fact she is doing her job better than anyone else could. This worrying helps her to get better and better at what she does. This actually makes her more worried that she'll get fired. Go figure.

I like to think that this is a trait I've inherited. Although with things like this I'm usually wrong. I wish I could have this one, because it's one of the ones I admire in my mom the most. She did the same thing when she was raising us kids. She would think she wasn't doing well, when in actuality she was raising us better than anyone else could have. I'm grateful to her for doing this and wish I could tell her that more.

There was a time when I was in elementary school that my grades plummeted. I still remember that time in sixth grade when my usually prisine report card came home with, well, less than pristine grades on it. It took me a while after talking with my friends to realize that not everyone had a mother and father who would put so much care and attention to their children's academic success as mine did. It worked so well that the next time I saw grades like that was two semesters ago in college, nearly ten years later.

I love you, Mom, and don't tell you enough. You won't get fired unless you call your bosses names to their faces. But keep working hard because you are a great example to us kids.

Oh, and please take vacations. You're running yourself ragged.

P.S. If you are reading this and this shares some of the feelings you have about your mothers, please share it with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment