There's Nothin' on Earth Like a Genuine, Bona Fide, Electrified, Six-Car Simpsons Blog!



The blog that attempts to justify my idiosyncrasies




Thursday, November 5, 2009

Literature Never Dies

"Shut up, Updike!"

This quote comes from Krusty the Klown after John Updike laughs at him. This after John Updike wrote most of Krusty's "auto"biography. It's not everyday that a fictional clown can make fun of a writer like John Updike.

The reason for this quote comes again from my academic pursuits. As a part of a humanities class I'm enrolled in, I must research a figure from our class discussions and find out what people thought of him or her in his or her day and also today (think Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, but with less leg warmers and phonebooths, and more internet research and audible "whoa"s from me). I decided on Geoffrey Chaucer, author of the very famous "Canterbury Tales." And he's a writer. Like Updike. It works, ok?

While researching this, I stumbled across this interesting entry: "Geoffrey Chaucer Hath a Blog." That's interesting, mostly because I didn't know guys who have been dead for 600 years could have access to the internet. Apparently the after-life has better internet service than Qwest. And, after reading a few entries, it seems our man Geoff has an affinity for the city of Las Vegas. You know, those dead poets are always looking for a good time.

So, if Geoff and I can have blogs, who's to say everyone shouldn't have one? I mean, really! Geoff actually writes in Old English, which is difficult enough to read anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment