There's Nothin' on Earth Like a Genuine, Bona Fide, Electrified, Six-Car Simpsons Blog!



The blog that attempts to justify my idiosyncrasies




Thursday, September 3, 2009

Rejection Avenue


"Check it out, Lis. You can actually pinpoint the moment his heart rips in half. Riiiiiight nnnnnow!"


This gem comes from Bart, talking to hs sister Lisa after she dumped her "special" friend Ralph Wiggum on national TV and they are watching the replay in slow-motion. Good quote, good episode called "I Love Lisa," and good for me right now.


So, like the whole country, I started school this week. I am enrolled at Brigham Young University in Provo. As part of my studies this semester, I decided to enroll in a Writings of Isaiah class. For those of you familiar with this prophet, you know how difficult he is to understand and how symbolic he is. Well, I got a snootful of symbolism my first day there.


First off, I was late. I hate being late. Period. Especially when it's my own darn fault that I was. Man that's irritating...but I digress. I walk into this symbol-fest and there's only one seat left: next to a nicely dressed familiar-looking fellow. Turns out he's the great young man who interviewed me twice for a teaching position at the Missionary Training Center. You would think this would be a good thing, but I didn't get either position. Awkward point number one.


Next, the teacher begins to call roll. What should I hear but the name of a certain someone. The name took me completely by surprise because it is an old friend from Arizona, one I've had a massive crush on since junior high school. She wrote to me on my mission and I was excited to see her when I got back and hey who knows...maybe even take her on a few dates. However, about a week before school started, on her Facebook page was an update that she had a ring on her finger. It wasn't my ring, for those of you wondering. Well, there she was in the class sitting next to her fiancee. Awkward point number two.


I realized that this class would be an explanation of the symbols that normally would be lost on the unattentive. And I'm as unattentive as they come. Sometime I'll tell you about the time I was being hit on by a girl and didn't even notice. Again, I digress. The only thing that would have made this the rejection trifecta would have been my seventh grade math teacher who gave me my first F grade ever.


So, check it out, I could see the biggest moments of rejection in my life right before me. All in one class. Bring a camera and I'm pretty sure you can see the moments my heart rips in half. Don't worry about me folks, today I took control of the situation. No, I didn't break up the engagement or get the job at the MTC, but I'm just not caring anymore. So I guess this post has a happy ending. I found another job and someone else. In your face, Rejection Avenue!

No comments:

Post a Comment