There's Nothin' on Earth Like a Genuine, Bona Fide, Electrified, Six-Car Simpsons Blog!



The blog that attempts to justify my idiosyncrasies




Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Love That Song


"Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows everything that's wonderful is what I feel when we're together!"

This is a song from the episode "Marge on the Lam" that plays twice in the episode: Once when Ruth Powers accidentally puts that song on at the beginning of the night, and again when Chief Wiggum starts a high speed chase. It's the kind of song that gets stuck in your head pretty easily.

I would like to take time to let you in on a little secret: When I like something, I really like it. So, for those of you that are my friends on Facebook, I will tell you that if I don't like your status, most likely it is nothing personal, I just take that kind of thing very seriously. I can't go around, liking everyone's status like, "Just made a salad!" or anything that tells you when to laugh out loud. Frankly, if I can't tell when to laugh out loud, you shouldn't tell me. Your status should tell me on its own merits. But I digress.

When it comes to music, when I like a song, I really like it. Like it enough to listen to it over and over again. This kind of behavior is not completely unmerited, however. I come from a heritage of this kind of liking. My dad listened to "Dream On" by Aerosmith until the grooves in his 45 wore out. Same thing happened for Jimmy Eat World's "The Middle," when he listened to it for the entire 30minute trip from the river we took with one of my friends. Also, on his iTunes account it showed at one point he listened to Peter Gabriel's "The Book of Love" over 100 times. So, just saying, I have some precedent.

The songs that I hear and instantly love and then listen to a lot receive a name, a specific name that conjures up just how I feel about them. I loving refer to them as my "Drug Songs." These are the ones that I seem to have stuck in my head constantly, but in a good way. I hum it, I whistle it, I nod my head in a quiet classroom to it when no one else can hear it but me. No matter how I try, I can't shake these songs. So, rather than try to go cold turkey, I embrace the madness. I don't really care, I can listen to these songs over and over again and not get sick of them.

Here is a list of my "Drug Songs" as well as I can remember them:
Current: "The Distance" by Relient K (originally sung by Cake)
"Dream On" by Aerosmith
"Never Been to Spain" by Three Dog Night (I love this one so)
"With or Without You" by Late Night Habit (not originally sung by U2. This is a different song. Completely different. No Bono here. Ever)
"Dark Blue" by Jack's Mannequin
"Come On Get Higher" by Matt Nathanson
"Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z feat. Alicia Keys
"Sloop John B" by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (originally sung by The Beach Boys)
"The Color Blue" by Three House (originally sung by Three House)
"Straight Up" by Halifax (originally sung by a box of mewing kittens, um, I mean, Paula Abdul)
"Cup of Life" by Ricky Martin (Ha! just kidding)
"Dragostea Din Tei" by O-ZONE (in high school. That kid is awesome!)
"Uyanga" by A-Sound (Mongolian)
"The Distance" by Relient K (just listened to it again!)
The jingle from State Farm Insurance
"Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns 'n' Roses
"Chain Me Free" by The Matches
And, last but certainly not least, "Face Down" by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus.

So there you have it. These are the songs that make up my consciousness most of the time. I love music, but whenever you see me, just make sure you turn off that dang Raffi record.

No comments:

Post a Comment