There's Nothin' on Earth Like a Genuine, Bona Fide, Electrified, Six-Car Simpsons Blog!



The blog that attempts to justify my idiosyncrasies




Saturday, October 29, 2011

Lists...Everyone Loves Lists...Pt. 2-List Harder


I'll forgo the quote and stuff, as this series of posts is just that, a series. And so we jump right into number 20.

20. "The Last Exit to Springfield"-Season 4
Guest Star: Dr. Joyce Brothers as herself.
Memorable quotes: Homer: "Guys are always patting my bald head for luck, pinching my belly to hear my girlish laugh." Marge: "Hmm, that doesn't sound like they like you at all." Homer: "You know, I think you're right. First thing tomorrow morning, I'm gonna punch Lenny in the back of the head." (the next morning Homer punches Lenny)
Dr. Wolfe: "How often do you brush, Ralph?" Ralph: "Three times a day, sir." Dr. Wolfe: "Why must you turn my office into a house of lies?" (Followed by the Big Book of British Smiles)
Kent: "Homer, organized labor has been called a lumbering dinosaur." Homer: "AAAAHH!" Kent: "Um, my director is asking me not to talk to you anymore." Homer: "Woohoo!"
Message: Eh, I'm not really sure. Dumb luck conquers all? I do like Homer's Stooge dance at the end of the episode when he has to step down as union president
Made me cry: A little, but only because dentists kinda freak me out.
Notes: I found out that Anthony Hopkins was originally contacted to play the dentist, Dr. Wolfe. Now I try to imagine his voice over the dentist's, and it makes me happy. Entertainment Weekly said that this was the best episode ever. I think they just said that because there are so many movie spoofs in this one, like the Godfather and Batman. So I guess I felt like I needed to include it in this list. Nah, it's a good episode.

19. "The Boy Who Knew Too Much"-Season 5
Guest Star: If you count Phil Hartman as Lionel Hutz
Memorable quotes: Homer: "(thinking) I know you can read my thoughts, boy. (singing) Meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow."
Homer: "Jump Willy! Jump! Jump with all your might! (cries)" (On TV) Woman: "Oh, no. Willy didn't make it! And he's crushed our boy!" Man: "Ugh, what a mess." Homer: "Ooh, I don't like this new director's cut!"
Bart: (about Principal Skinner) "He is like some sort of ... non ... giving up ... school guy!"
Message: Hotels expect you to steal a few things, if you skip school, you may wind up being the only witness to a crime, and Heaven help you if your principal chases you down as you skip school.
Made me cry: No
Notes: I originally made my top 25 list, but I had omitted this one. Then one night I watched it and realized that I needed to include it. I also like how Bart spells "Lincoln" in his vision as "L-I-N-C-O-N." Also, this episode shows even more how the Quimby family is like the Kennedys, which is great.

18. "Homer the Vigilante"-Season 5
Guest Star: Sam Neill as Molloy
Memorable quotes: Homer: "Lisa, never, ever stop in the middle of a hoedown!"
Ned: "Hi-dilly-ho, neighborinos!" Homer: "Can't talk, robbed, go Hell."
Kent Brockman: "Well, what do you say to the accusation that your group has been causing more crimes than it's been committing?" Homer: "Oh Kent, I'd be lying if I said my men weren't committing crimes." Kent Brockman: (pause) "Mmm, touche."
Message: Old people are not worthless. I love how Homer is so well-intentioned when he goes to get Lisa's saxophone back, and how easily he is distracted in his goal. However, true to his character, he does eventually get it back.
Made me cry: No
Notes: In one of my favorite spoofs of the series, the end few minutes is like the movie "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World," and even has the big "W" that the characters are looking for next to the big "T" the Simpsons are looking for. Also, I realized while watching this episode that Sam Neill's voice is as smooth as velvet.

17. "I Love Lisa"-Season 4
Guest Star: Michael Carrington as Rex
Memorable quotes: Ralph: "The doctor said I wouldnt have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger outta there."
Homer: "I've heard 'em all. I like you as a friend... I think we should see other people... I no speak English..." Lisa: "I get the idea." Homer: "I'm married to the sea... I don't want to kill you, but I will."
Homer: "You know, one day honest citizens are going to stand up to you crooked cops." Chief Wiggum: "They are!? Oh no! Ha-have they set a date?"
Message: Be careful who you pity, "Monster Mash" is a song appropriate for any occasion, and this is how I learned that William Henry Harrison was only president for 30 days.
Made me cry: No, I am not Groundskeeper Willie
Notes: I had a really hard time with this one getting down to only three quotes as well. One of my favorites is "So, do you like, stuff?" but I couldn't include it because the nose bleed line is a classic. It's hard to go wrong with Ralph Wiggum, and throw in the added funny lines of Bart and Homer about going to Krusty's show, and this one is a classic.

16. "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment"-Season 8
Guest Star: Dave Thomas as Rex Banner, Joe Mantegna as Fat Tony
Memorable quotes: Mayor Quimby: "You're just a bunch of low-income nobodies! Who are you to demand anything?" Aide: (Quietly) "Election in November. Election in November." Mayor Quimby: "What? Again? This stupid country."
Marge: "Why do you have so many bowling balls?" Homer: "I'm not gonna lie to you Marge. (pauses) See ya!"
Reporter: "What about the beer baron?" Banner: "I suspect he was just a figment of the media. The idea that someone like that could operate under my very nose is laughable. (tries to laugh, chokes and coughs instead) Well, you all know what laughter sounds like."
Message: Reinforces that prohibition only works in the movies, wait, never mind.
Made me cry: Maybe only from laughing
Notes: I had a really difficult time narrowning down the quotes for this one too because there are so many great one-liners, and just about everything that Rex Banner said makes me laugh. I've loved Dave Thomas from his "Bob and Doug McKenzie" sketches and from the movie "Strange Brew." I'm part Canadian, so it's a part of my heritage, eh?

I'll be posting numbers 15-11 at around the same Bat-Season on the same Bat-Blog, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment